The Gladstone Healthy Harbour Partnership acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and sea in the Port Curtis Coral Coast region, the Gurang, Gooreng Gooreng, Taribelang Bunda and Bailai people, and pays respect to the ancestors, the Elders both past and present, and to the people.
Purpose of GHHP
Gladstone Healthy Harbour Partnership (GHHP) is a forum to bring together parties (including community, industry, science, government, statutory bodies and management) to maintain, and where necessary, improve the health of Gladstone Harbour. The guiding principles of the Partnership are open, honest and accountable management, annual reporting of the health of the Gladstone Harbour and management recommendations and action based on rigorous science and strong stakeholder engagement to ensure the ongoing and continuous improvement in the health of Gladstone Harbour.
Objectives of GHHP
GHHP aims to bring opportunities to partners such as:
- efficient, cost effective, coordinated and targeted monitoring and research activities focused on GHHP needs and priorities, and management recommendations and action that removes any monitoring and research duplication
- including existing industry and research effort to maximise and optimise value of investment (both time and money) while improving the quality of the data generated from monitoring and research programs (i.e. pooling resources to look at the big picture)
- contributing to the development of Port Curtis (and/or appropriate sub-components thereof) specific environmental values, water quality objectives and trigger values
- facilitating cooperation between industry, research, community and government to pool the best possible expertise to understand and manage Gladstone Harbour health
- improving community engagement, communication and confidence in the health and management of the harbour by providing synthesised information in easy to understand language, but without loss of scientific rigor
- co-ordinating science and science communication products
- informing decision-making for users of the Gladstone Harbour
- assisting to secure the region’s tourism and marine recreation industries.